P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My boyfriend is living on my property years in s trailer and

Customer Question

My boyfriend is living on my property for 3 years in his trailer and paying small amount of rent while he helps me with maintaining the yard and put in a new patio and i drive him everywhere he needs to go because his license is suspended and he has no car. he lied to me about having a car and home. Im 70 yo and cant afford to lose my home so ,is there common law marriage in the state of Washington and how can i proptect myself from future lawsuits by him?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Washington does not recognize common-law marriage.

However, it has adopted the “committed intimate relationship” doctrine...this allows a court to resolve the property distribution issues that arise when unmarried people separate after living in a marital-like relationship and acquiring what would have been community property had they been married.

So they court COULD consider dividing up property that you acquired while living together. It is not automatic (like with a divorce). He would need to prove

Sorry...got cut off...a few mins as I finish up the answer...

He would need to prove you had a "stable and committed relationship"...if he could prove that, the court could divide up any property you acquired together.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Last year I bought a new chev pick-up. it is registered in my name and i make the payments. could "he" claim half interest in the truck if we should split?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i cant afford additional charges so, if there is an additional charge for this conversation. please let me know.
He could try, however, frankly speaking it would likely not be worth the effort. He would have to hire a lawyer and the money hepaid for a lawyer would likely be more than he could expect to recover if he were to win the suit.Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He has an attorney from past 10 years or more who has been advising him in L&I claims and child support settlement.. His past history suggest he is not trustworthy and i believe he would have no remorse when it comes to
taking my $. So, is there anything I can do to protect my home?
If he hires a lawyer then you will want to hire one as well. Again, the amout he could hope to claim after only one year on a depreciating asset would not be much.