socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Good eveming Im from Virginia...I had wrote acheck

Customer Question

Good eveming Im from Virginia...I had wrote acheck for bball uniforms and they were messed up so I stopped paymentuntil they were fixed. It didnt happen. They got a warrant in debt on me now several months later The city of staunton has issued a felony on me behind this. Isnt this double jeopardy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to pick up the warrant in the morning so I would like to know what Im facing.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 10 months ago.
Hello, A "warrant in debt" is a civil action. A felony charge is a criminal action. There is no double jeopardy, unless both actions are criminal. However, the crime of passing a bad check requires that the defendant have insufficient funds in their bank account to cover the check at the time that the check is delivered to the victim. So, if you had sufficient funds to pay the check at the time you originally tendered it to the uniform supplier, then there is no crime. You could still be sued for failure to pay the bill, but the criminal charge may fail, depending upon the amount of money in your checking account. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!
Hello again,I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!