Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I took my wife's medicine to her in jail. she then informs

Customer Question

I took my wife's medicine to her in jail. she then informs me over the phone that there were other medicine(Clonopins) in the prescription bottle. I did not know this and now I am worried. What should I do?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, There is nothing you can do except to hope that the prison does not charge you with bringing contraband into the prison. You cannot undo the fact that you brought the medicine in, and making statements to the authorities will not help you. If anyone reaches out to you about this or if you receive word that you're going to be charged, you have a mistake defense to these charges. At that point, however, you still would not want to make statements to the authorities, as anything you say about this, even what you think may be helpful, can be twisted and used against you in a criminal case. What you would want to do at that point would be to tell the authorities, that you think you'd like to talk to a lawyer before discussing anything more. Then go find yourself a criminal attorney.