Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am a lien holder to a car my boyfriend is the car owner we

Customer Question

i am a lien holder to a car my boyfriend is the car owner we got into a fight can he report the car stolen ?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: in the state of NC
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: i don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Is his name on the title?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes his name is ***** ***** title as the owner of the car
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.If his name is ***** ***** title, then it can't be reported stolen if it is in his possession........You being the lienholder doesn't give you the right to report the vehicle stolen.....he -- as the owner -- would be the only one that could do that.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
IF he defaults, you can repossess the vehicle.....but that's a civil process -- not a criminal one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if i am the one in possession and authorized to use the car? can he report it still?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
He could report it stolen if he didn't give you permission and IF he's not in default with his payments......the only time you (as the lienholder) can possess the vehicle against his will is if he's in default.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I have to prove he gave me permission if it was just verbal? It would be my word against his?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it would be your word against his........but if you're worried about him changing his story, the best thing you can do is text or email him something about using the car and get a reply.....so you can document him giving you permission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's already threatning to have to call reported as stolen. i don't think i could get it writing at this point.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Ok. In that case, you probably just return the vehicle and end the controversy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would Police allow to report it with a his word vs my word scenario?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if he reports it, the authorities will have to investigate, file charges, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so him being the owner the police will back him and come get the car?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if he's the owner and he reports that the vehicle is stolen, then the police are going to follow up on his report.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
But, whether there was any criminal or civil lability would boil down to a swearing match between the two of you...and it's not likely the authorities would charge you with a crime given your relationship. The police are likely to see right through his claims and see that this is a domestic dispute that has led to bad feelings and questionable charges.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.