Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

How do I file a small claims action written agreement

Customer Question

How do I file a small claims action for a written agreement to pay $1700 towards our daughters school tuition executed between a former spouse who resides in Dickenson, TX. Agreement executed via email and text messages. Do I have to file where he resides or in my local California Civil court?
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Unfortunately, you would have to file in TX where he is located so you could get personal jurisdiction over him and force him to come to court to defend. But you would visit the local courthouse in the county where he lives and talk to the small claims clerk. Then you get the summons and complaint forms from the clerk to complete and file. The clerk will then help you get it served by the sheriff on ex. After that, you just gather your evidence and come to court on the appointed date and time set by the clerk and tell your story to the judge...thanksBarrister