Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

My name is ***** ***** i'm 65 and in n

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** i'm 65 and in need of your help with my emotional support dogs. I've, had one for a few years now and just got two more last year. I learned about five years ago that i sufferd from extreme depressed which my doctor has confirmed and has issued a letter stating it along with high anxiety.I didn't want to go anywhere unless i have my dog with me because, they know when I'm going into one and, just by petting one calms me down and, if were in a restruant and l'm going into one my dog will want on my lap ,they know what's happening.But you wouldn't believe the sarcastic things people say to me.I end up going into a depression and anyway and go home. Now i'm having trouble with my landlord he seen the other two dogs which i was informed i can have up to four and he sent us a nasty letter stating that we broke our lease and have to pay him 250. per dog lwithin seven days or he will break our lease and put us out.These dogs only weigh 14 pound's and their very well behaved.I live in fl can could use some some advice.iSincerely ***** ***** *********
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have already paid the landlord 250. Got the first dog we, didn't know about this law then.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
Hello Susan. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.I'm really sorry about your depression and I understand that your dog(s) serve as a source of emotional support. However, having MULTIPLE dogs is problematic and not something you're automatically entitled to, even if you were permitted to have the one for emotional support. That's likely why your landlord is stating that you violated the terms of your lease. If it were me and the dogs were necessary to my well being I would consider paying the fee, but ultimately it is your call. As far as legally, I suspect you would be fighting an uphill battle stating that you need three dogs for therapeutic purposes. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra but it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why do they say its law and its discrimination if landlords don't abide by it.
It is not the law to permit three dogs in a dwelling that states you can't have pets. Your physician would need to write a note stating that you need THREE dogs rather than the one you are currently permitted and I suspect the majority of physicians will not make that claim.
Hello. I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.