Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I've hired an attorney to get a company to sign a promissory

Customer Question

I've hired an attorney to get a company to sign a promissory note that they owe us money that we have lended them. They have refused to sign, so the attorney is going to take it to litigation. I need to know if his fees are reasonable. I paid him $1,500 so far and he's asking for $5,000 more. What would he be doing for this kind of fee?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Do you have a written retainer agreement?
Expert:  Daniel Finley replied 6 months ago.
The rules of professional conduct lay-out guidelines for a reasonable attorney fee. The ABA's model rule 1.5 is generally the same rule used by the states for their particular rules of professional conduct. It states as follows:Client-Lawyer RelationshipRule 1.5 Fees(a) A lawyer shall not make an agreement for, charge, or collect an unreasonable fee or an unreasonable amount for expenses. The factors to be considered in determining the reasonableness of a fee include the following:(1) the time and labor required, the novelty and difficulty of the questions involved, and the skill requisite to perform the legal service properly;(2) the likelihood, if apparent to the client, that the acceptance of the particular employment will preclude other employment by the lawyer;(3) the fee customarily charged in the locality for similar legal services;(4) the amount involved and the results obtained;(5) the time limitations imposed by the client or by the circumstances;(6) the nature and length of the professional relationship with the client;(7) the experience, reputation, and ability of the lawyer or lawyers performing the services; and(8) whether the fee is fixed or contingent.(b) The scope of the representation and the basis or rate of the fee and expenses for which the client will be responsible shall be communicated to the client, preferably in writing, before or within a reasonable time after commencing the representation, except when the lawyer will charge a regularly represented client on the same basis or rate. Any changes in the basis or rate of the fee or expenses shall also be communicated to the client.(c) A fee may be contingent on the outcome of the matter for which the service is rendered, except in a matter in which a contingent fee is prohibited by paragraph (d) or other law. A contingent fee agreement shall be in a writing signed by the client and shall state the method by which the fee is to be determined, including the percentage or percentages that shall accrue to the lawyer in the event of settlement, trial or appeal; litigation and other expenses to be deducted from the recovery; and whether such expenses are to be deducted before or after the contingent fee is calculated. The agreement must clearly notify the client of any expenses for which the client will be liable whether or not the client is the prevailing party. Upon conclusion of a contingent fee matter, the lawyer shall provide the client with a written statement stating the outcome of the matter and, if there is a recovery, showing the remittance to the client and the method of its determination.(d) A lawyer shall not enter into an arrangement for, charge, or collect:(1) any fee in a domestic relations matter, the payment or amount of which is contingent upon the securing of a divorce or upon the amount of alimony or support, or property settlement in lieu thereof; or(2) a contingent fee for representing a defendant in a criminal case.(e) A division of a fee between lawyers who are not in the same firm may be made only if:(1) the division is in proportion to the services performed by each lawyer or each lawyer assumes joint responsibility for the representation;(2) the client agrees to the arrangement, including the share each lawyer will receive, and the agreement is confirmed in writing; and(3) the total fee is reasonable. What you should do if you are not sure is to contact your State Bar (google their phone number) and ask to speak to the professional standards counsel to get an opinion by the State Bar as to whether your attorney's proposed fees are "excessive".