Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

A domestic trucking company lost one of my incoming shipments

Customer Question

A domestic trucking company lost one of my incoming shipments for my business. It was a very significant amount of merchandise ($25k+ worth of items) on the lost pallet. They are saying that since I didn't pay for insurance on the shipment there is nothing I can do. Can I sue them for losing my shipment?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Whether or not you can sue the trucking company would depend on which party bears the "risk of loss" and under what circumstances. Is the shipper (the trucking company) responsible or is the owner responsible? You need to review the terms of your shipment and then decide the best course of action. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.