Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

IS IT MANDATORY PERSON RECEIVING A UTILITY CHECK FROM

Customer Question

IS IT MANDATORY FOR A PERSON RECEIVING A UTILITY CHECK FROM A GOVERRNMENT SUDSIDIZE HOUSING. APARTMENTS. TO MANDATE U HAVE SIGN YOUR RIGHT AWAY TO ALLOW THEM TO DIRECT DESPOSITE YOUR CHECK TO GAS AND ELECTIC COMPANY.., WHEN U WERE RECEING THE AT FIRST, WHILW LILIVING IN THAT APATMENT COMPLEX,, IS THER SOME GOVENMENT LAW THAT SAIS THEY CAN MAKE U SIGN THATOR THEY WILL HOLD YOUR UNTILITY CHECK..
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..This is a matter of their internal HUD regulations regarding subsidies and how they are paid out. If you are receiving a subsidy for utilities, then the entity who is distributing the subsidy has the right to determine how it is paid out and what it is used for. In the past, when these type of subsidies were made payable directly to the recipient, some recipients would spend the money on something other than paying the utility bills, resulting in their accounts being delinquent or shut off. HUD then changed the rules so as to prevent this from happening and to ensure that the money goes where it is supposed to go and is spent on utilities only..So if you are getting a subsidy, you have to abide by the rules that are set by the entity providing it if you want to continue receiving it..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister