Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

My neighbor posted videos/pictures of my dog in my yard, with

Customer Question

My neighbor posted videos/pictures of my dog in my yard, with my house included. Posted the information on facebook, which lead to my dog being stolen. What legal action can I take?
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..I am very sorry to hear that you were a victim of such a crime... I am also sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news regarding the legal situation here, but that is part of the job.....If the dog was in your back yard, then that is not an area where you have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" like you would have inside your house. So the neighbor taking pictures of your house and yard with the dog in it wouldn't violate any privacy laws. If they later posted the photos online, since they own the photos/video, there is no law violated there either..If someone broke into your property and stole the dog, that is a criminal offense and only the person who actually did it can be held liable for that criminal offense. The neighbor is not legally liable for the criminal actions of a third party..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister