Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My name is ***** *****... I'm trying to find out if a

Customer Question

Hey! My name is ***** *****... I'm trying to find out if a ketubah is seen as a marriage in the state of New York?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well that's the main thing I want to know if the state of New York see's a Jewish religious ceremony as a legal marriage
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A Jewish religious ceremony performed by a rabbi will be considered legal in the state of New York. The couple still needs to get a marriage license at least 24 hours before the ceremony is performed. Both spouses must appear in person to request the marriage license. Once it's obtained, you have 60 days to use it. If you're getting married in New York City, your officiant needs to register with the city. After the ceremony, both spouses and the officiant must sign the license to make the marriage legal, and the officiant then has 5 business days to mail it to the state.

So, yes, the religious marriage IS legal - but there are steps that must be followed to make it so. If two people got married in a religious ceremony without a marriage license, they can go to the courthouse to get a license then have a justice of the peace do a short ceremony to make things legal.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But what if I don't get a marriage license
And I just want the religious ceremony - is that still seen as being legal?

Unfortunately, no, it isn't. For the state and federal governments to recognize your marriage, you need the license.

You'd be considered married in the eyes of your faith, but you wouldn't get the state and federal benefits associated with marriage, like inheritance rights, tax benefits, and things like that.