LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Ok i live on the outside of a small town. Recently I had two

Customer Question

Ok i live on the outside of a small town. Recently I had two dogs get hit by a car. So I posted a speed limit on a homemade sign. The county commissioner told me I could not do that. So I said fine, flipped the sign around a put "slow the F***k down cameras in use." Three days pass and he comes back and just takes the sign right off my property. I posted it on the edge of my property line 3ft from the road. My question is..is he allowed to do that? That don't fall under stealing or taking away my right to freedom of speech?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The issue is not with the sign saying slow down, it is the fact that the word " F**K" is used, which can be viewed as offensive. Even though you have a right to free speech, the use of the word can be offensive and not at a level of community standards and something to display for everyone in the town to see. Now, you can try and fight this and proceed on that level. However, if the reason for the removal of the sign is the curse word and it offending people, then they can try and remove the sign. If you simply said "slow down, cameras in use" then it would be a different story. If the goal is to limit the speeding, there are other ways to convey the same messages
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I live in the country about a mile out, community standards reflexs on an in town guilde line right? wait do I have to pay more if I write back?
No, it is a one time fee. Do not worry
It would be the community as a whole. Even though you are a mile out, there are still people who pass by, both residents and visitors. If the goal is to reduce speed, that can be accomplished with a sign that is not offense or uses language like this
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!