Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Problem with police JA: The Lawyer will need to help you

Customer Question

Problem with police
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: We own a bar. 5 cops came in for no reason. No fights, no minors in complete compliance. Came in 45 minutes before closing did a walk through then stood in a line at the front of the bar staring at everyone. When asked why they were here they said just to say hi. Is this illegal? Ruined the last 30 minutes of our business
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Paid
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Is this happening to you regularly or was this an isolated instance?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
First time it's happened. We been opened about eight months.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.
Thank you and sorry for the delay. It's possible that the police got wind of a suspect believed to be at your bar or that they wanted to make sure that there were no problems with your compliance. What they have done is not unlawful. They don't need a warrant to walk into a bar and look at the patrons. That said, I'm sure it was uncomfortable. If it happens again and a pattern develops, then you do have the makings of police harassment. At that point, you can report the incidents to the officers' superiors and/or to Internal Affairs to lodge a complaint against them and get their conduct investigated. If they keep coming back and as a direct result of this you can prove that you're losing business, you have the makings of a law suit.