Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I am a member on a community children sports board. One of

Customer Question

I am a member on a community children sports board. One of the members told the board a child made sexual accusations against a coach. She said a child told her directly but she would not disclose who made the accusation. Does she have to tell the board who told her this as she made the comment in a public board meeting and the parent of the child wants to address this accusation.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Legally, no, she does not have to tell the board. The child has certain confidentially rights, and she could expose herself to civil liability for publicly disclosing it, particularly from the person accused. In short, she has no legal obligation to tell anyone other than the police.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, basically anyone can make any accusation under the pretense someone els told them and they don't want to release that persons name?
They can, but if they make a specific accusation, the person against whom the accusation was made could, in theory, sue them for defamation. If it turns out they made up the entire story, they could be forced to pay that person damages. But, absent a lawsuit of that nature or a criminal case, there is no law that requires the person to divulge the player that said they were abused.
Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.