CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I am trying to get a excuse self and excuse daughter.

Customer Question

I am trying to get a excuse for my self and excuse for my daughter. JURY DUTY my daughter is 47 yrs old, and I am 65 yrs. old.. She is 100 percent disabled. I am to take care of her 24 hours a day. I take care of her 24 hours a day. She can't do any thing for her self. she can't talk walk on by herself. I am retired. I don't have any friends or family. Me and my daughter Cindy, are by our self. where I go see goes.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,Start by contacting your County's jury commissioner (this is a County Court employee that you can reach by telephone).For your daughter, you will need a medical excuse from jury duty. Most counties have forms that can be completed (that is why I recommend starting there), take the form to your daughter's physician and they can complete the form. You will then return the form to the jury commissioner and she will be taken out of the jury pool.For yourself, you will need to apply for an exemption based on your permanent caregiver status. This is considered "extraordinary relief" (this is partly because of the strong public interest in having people serve on juries, and partly to help ensure that the process is not abused). But again, the specific procedure varies slightly from one county to another, most counties have you complete a declaration (sign a form under oath) that is sent back to the jury commissioner and is reviewed by a judge. They will review your circumstance (you are the only caretaker for your daughter, and there is no viable alternative caretaker for her), and grant you a waiver. Unlike your daughter's waiver, you may need to renew yours occasionally, if this is the case, you will simply need to submit a new declaration to renew.For general information on Jury Service in CA and helpful links to CA Courts, see: