Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

Should a broker of materials sold to the end user ( the general

Customer Question

should a broker of materials sold to the end user ( the general contractor) need to charge sales tax on the products if we as a broker never see or handle the product at all...All our vendors UPS out big items and other venders send out via their own truck to jobs.So; we never handle the items at all ...We should operate under a w-2 form yearly as we were explained....thank you for feed back
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. No. The broker does not collect the Sales tax under Maryland law. Sales tax is collected on "taxable transactions" when the item is sold to the ultimate consumer. Usually at a retail level. If you are not a vendor selling to the ultimate consumer you do not collect the sales tax. Often products that are incorporated into construction are not subject to sales tax because the sales tax (if assessed) is assessed on the value of the completed project. Here is a link to the law: I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you. If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck, Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.