Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I have sent an email to Nintendo asking permission to use their

Customer Question

I have sent an email to Nintendo asking permission to use their name in a game controller crochet pattern I am currently putting together. They suggested I get legal advice about it, since they can't legally give me formal permission. I don't intend to sell the finished product. I just want to know if it's okay to add Nintendo to the afghan to make it look more like an authentic NES controller when I finish it. Thanks!
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. This is an issue of Trademark.If you are not marketing the item but are making it only for personal use (gift to family member or friend) Nintendo will not bother you with a trademark claim. They would only do so if you were doing something that would dilute their trademark. In that regard dilution of Trademark requires goods to be entered into commerce in a manner that would create confusion as to the source of the goods. Since that is clearly not the case with your Afghan, there is no issue here to be concerned about. I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald