Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

While visiting a casino in central city, colorado, I passed

Customer Question

While visiting a casino in central city, colorado, I passed out and fell off a stool and hit my head on the tile floor. I sustained a severe head injury and my heart stopped and I had to be recessitated and subsequently flown by helicopter for emergency treatment to St anthony's hospital in lakewood, co. I was treated and hospitalized for 10 days and have a number of followup visits with various doctors. My question is how do I go about checking out if the casino's insurance company may help with my medical bills not covered by my health insurance.
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello BobThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I am sorry to hear of this matter. I suggest you will first want to contact the manager of the casino and tell them that you had an accident there and you want to have your medical expenses covered. Ask them to provide the name of their insurance carrier. However, keep in mind, that Colorado has what is called "comparative negligence" And you can read that statute at this link What it means is, you as the Complainant would be barred from any such recovery of damages or medical expenses if the Defendant, the casino, can prove that you contributed to your injuries 50% more than they did. So you would need to know if there was something wrong with the stool you were sitting on, etc so that you can place some blame of negligence on the casino.Because suing for negligence can get complicated, you might want to consider at least consulting with a local attorney who can review the matter in full and allow them to contact the casino on your behalf. If the attorney feels that you have a case, they would take your matter on a contingency basis. That means no upfront fee to you. But the attorney's fee would be an agreed upon percentage of any settlement they get for you because of the negligence of the casino.Now, if there is no negligence on the part of the casino, they do not need to help with your expenses, though it may be good public relations for them to assist. Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.