Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Is it legal to terminate regarding personal social

Customer Question

Is it legal for employers to terminate regarding personal social media page that does not show illegal or inappropriate posts? My posts were generalized on my private page and not on my professional page. Yet I'm being told that I can't post anything regarding my work or life even though no one in my posts are tagged. It doesn't even show my place of employment on my private page.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Unfortunately, yes, it is legal for an employer to terminate an employee for posts made on their private social media. This is partially because employment is at-will, meaning that employers don't need ANY reason to let someone go. But this is also because they're allowed to consider whether the employee presents themselves publicly as someone they want associated with their company, how those posts might reflect on the company if read by someone who knows where the employee works, and things like that. The best way to avoid this issue in the future is to make your personal social media posts private so your employer cannot see them, and consider using a nickname so people who are looking for you based on your full name would not find your page. Some people also choose not to accept friend requests from co-workers to avoid this type of issue (at least not on their personal page). But I'm sorry to say, yes, they can fire you. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.Good luck.