LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

Another man and I were in a verbal argument, he came towards

Customer Question

Another man and I were in a verbal argument, he came towards me while making verbal threats, I pulled out a gun, did not point it at him but made it known that I had one. He then backed away so I could leave. This happened in Georgia. Was there anything illegal about what I did?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.
Good evening. It would all depend on the threat and if it was reasonable. The State would need to look at the threats and his actions and if you were in reasonable fear of your life and needed to pull the gun. This would be a self defense claim if charged but a party can not simply pull a gun out anytime something like this happens and it would be the circumstances which dictate if charges would be filed. If you were in fear, then it can be justified.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!