LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

My fiancé and I canceled our wedding. We have the venue already

Customer Question

My fiancé and I canceled our wedding. We have the venue already paid for which was non refundable. I put an ad on Craigslist and was able to find a couple interested in the same venue/date. I then call the venue representative who was not happy to find out that there was an ad on craigslist. She stated that we are more than likely not able to do that and needed to contact the owners. She has delayed responding since late January and hasn't seemed very interested in finding answer for us.
Would we be able to sublease to that couple? I understand that the contract is still valid between us and the venue and that we are still responsible for any damages. What other option may I have if they are unwilling to mitigate.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.1. What state are you in?Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon, Thanks for the clarification. Under Texas law, where there is a Breach of Contract, the party negatively effect has a legal obligation to try to mitigate their damages, and if they do not do so---either through failure to re-rent out the place or refuse to consider a replacement that you propose, then that is a defense in the event that you are sued for Breach of Contract by the vendor. All you can do is tell them that you will not pay the debt if they fail to consider mitigation of their loss and that you will defend any lawsuit, or sue them for Declaratory Relief in court. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction. I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug