Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Purchased a boat from Mcgoys marine that was consigned there

Customer Question

Purchased a boat from Mcgoys marine that was consigned there in which I paid in full and have a retail sales contract from the agent and have pocession of the boat. Have not got title for agent is in jail and has not paid the owner of the boat. what do I do now?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I also have a copy of the cashiers check and copy of email and copy of consignment agreement between the agent and the seller. all signed
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Someone in your situation wants to then possibly file suit against the individual who is the actual registered owner of the boat. Once the boat is purchased and money is paid, the buyer is said to have "performed." However the seller has not since their performance in part is to turn over title, and this has not been done. If the agent/intermediary/liaison in in jail, the onus is on the owner to facilitate transfer of title anyhow. The suit would be for breach of contract, demanding "specific performance." Attorney/legal fees may be added to judgment, as well as punitive damages if the seller was attempting to actively avoid signing the title over. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.