Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I recently found out that I have a daughter, with a woman who

Customer Question

I recently found out that I have a daughter, with a woman who I had a one night relationship with. She is 25 years old. She lives in California. Do I or should I have any legal financial responsibilities.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. No if she is really 25.The statute of limitations for California is 3 years after the child turns 18 so 21 years old. Reference State Time Limit to Determine PaternityCalifornia Three years after child reaches 18 So paternity and child support is not an issue it has been too long here for the mother to file at this point and force payments.She has waited too long for that so it would not be a problem here.You decide if you want to meet her and establish a relationship free of this threat. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
You cannot be compelled to take a paternity test unless you do so voluntarily. Thanks again.