Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

I have a former employer (previously a friend of

Customer Question

I have a former employer (previously a friend of 10 years before working together) who had an affair with my boyfriend, then when I found out about it, I became belligerent and she fired me (we agreed that would be necessary as there was no way we could continue to work together). Since then, she has gone around attempting to tarnish my reputation, complaining to multiple people about the fact that I had to file an unemployment claim (which was approved based on the circumstances and which she did not dispute), among other things, including outright lies.
I know her to have committed serious tax fraud and I'm wondering what the legal implications are for me if I suggest to her in writing that if she doesn't stop attempting to defame me, I might report her. I haven't reported her because I don't want to be a rat and because quite frankly she could go to prison based on the level of fraud and evasion. I would simply just like for her to leave me alone and it seems that would be a sure-fire way of achieving that. For obvious reasons, I can't imagine she'd dare show that email to anyone because she knows full well that I have proof of said fraud, but I'm just wondering if making that sort of threat is illegal in any way.
Thank you.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Although it would not be unlawful for you to mention in your cease and desist letter that you might consider speaking to the IRS (or State tax authorities) about their past tax practices if they don't stop making false statements about you to third parties, there is a limit of what you can threaten and ask for. This other has, under the First Amendment, to talk about you as long as what she says is truthful or strictly an honest opinion. So threatening a criminal action for those things can cross the line of extortion. However, as mentioned, requesting that she stop making false statements about you to others and just putting it out that if she doesn't you may consider doing what I mentioned above, would not be extortion or illegal. This assumes, of course, that what you would be reporting to tax authorities is true. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed, if none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 5th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good.If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: you.