Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I''m at a rehab facility. Their website promised luxurious

Customer Question

I''m at a rehab facility. Their website promised luxurious settings, ocean side views and nutritious and healthy (3) meals. Upon arriving at ONE of their facility, it wasn't a luxurious setting, there wasn't ocean side views unless you went to the top level and there wasn't nutritious and healthy food, I had to cook my own breakfast (which the website site stated it would be cooked by a chef) and lunch and dinner was provided via aluminum tray, for example for lunch it was hotdogs and tater tots and dinner was grilled chicken and rice. None of which is really nutritious. Before I contact a lawyer do I have a case to have my contract w/ the facility voided (which states I am liable for cost) and get a refund?!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The contract states I cannot leave and get a refund for whatever reason. But I feel I was frauded by false advertising on their website. If I knew it wasn't going to be ocean side views or my meals would be cooked offsite and brought to me in a tray, I would have picked another facility. After talking to one of the clinic employees, the stated that they lost contracted chefs a while ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I think what you're saying is that the facility deliberately fraudulently represented what services they would provide you with. That would be a violation of New Jersey's Deceptive Trade Practices Act. If found to have engaged in such practices, this facility could have to pay treble damages, which is something they would likely be very concerned about. Sometimes all it takes under those situations is for a lawyer to send them a letter warning of a possible suit under the Act.. Then the facility may be very happy to seek a settlement of some kind with you and/or void the contract.