CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Can anyone help me with abuse from a sheriff's department

Customer Question

Can anyone help me with abuse from a sheriff's department deputy
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 8 months ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation. You do appear to have a claim against the County, as well as the individual officers responsible for their bad actions. These suits are usually brought in federal court (while there are usually multiple causes of action, the primary one is under Federal statute 42 USC 1983). I would recommend contacting a civil right's attorney who has experience in this kind of litigation (they do not have to be in your home town or county, but they do need to be licensed in your state).Most attorneys will represent clients with the "contingency fee agreement" where the law firm will advance its services and the costs of litigation, in exchange for a portion of the client's recovery. So the client will get representation without having to pay anything up front, but will have to reimburse the law firm for its expenses, then pay the law firm a portion of their recovery to compensate them for their time and efforts. (These fee agreements can be changed between the parties, and some lawyers will have the client pay for the litigation costs as the matter is being litigated, and the client will only have to split part of their recovery to pay for the attorney's time when they win).It is important to discuss with your attorney the details of your compensation agreement at the time that you sign up for services (this contract is usually referred to as the "Legal Services Agreement"), and if you have any questions, the lawyer should be more than willing to explain and discuss them with you. You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).