CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have been having an affair years and stupidly allowed

Customer Question

I have been having an affair for seven years and stupidly allowed him to use credit cards of mine. He now owes me $30,000. Do i have any recourse?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 8 months ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation. You can sue this individual for "breach of contract" and recover this money.Unfortunately, $30,000.00 is outside of the small claims jurisdictional limit, and to recover this amount you will need to sue in "unlimited civil court" so the procedure is a little more complicated (if he were to appear and defend the action it can take anywhere between 2-3 years depending on the backlog in the trial court and how aggressively you pursue the litigation). Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.