Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I AM BEING SUED IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT FOR $2100 I DECIDED

Customer Question

HI I AM BEING SUED IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT FOR $2100 I DECIDED NOT TO APEAR IN COURT BECAUSE I WILL LOOSE I TOOK OUT A LOAN THROUGH A FINANCE COMPANY & MISSED 2 PAYMENTS SO THEY ARE SUEING ME MY HEARING IS APRIL 19TH I HAVE ALREADY PAID THEM $1000 OF THE $ OWED WHAT IS MY NEXT STEP & HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO PAY BACK REMAING $
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. They will get a judgment and would be able to try and collect on it.You may want to attend to make sure you get proper credit for payments made and see if they will accept a payment plan for the balance.They may well do so.Attending here even if you owe the balance will protect your rights and make sure you get credit for what your paid. Remember you can always threaten the finance company with Chapter 7 and they get nothing.Sometimes that will get them to accept an agreed judgment here with payments.You really may want to attend here for these reasons even if you do not contest the debt. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best here.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have my checks showing they cashed them and according to my online account i was credited shall i just keep sending them something so they may not collect on the whole amount at once even though i had avoided them still the best thing to do is call them even though they filed and are suing me
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
I would take the print out or the statement or whatever you have here.The problem is they sue you for the full amount and if you have paid here you want them to credit you . Otherwise you might end up paying twice.They will not bite here, you can contact them and also appear as well.See if they will agree to some kind of payments. Thanks again.