Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I used my girlfriends eBAYACCOUNT 2 YEARS AGO TO SELL A BOAT

Customer Question

I used my girlfriends eBAYACCOUNT 2 YEARS AGO TO SELL A BOAT ENGINE AND THE DEAL WENT AWRY to the tune of about $4ooo. EBay is now sending a collection agency after my girlfriend in that amount. She called them and they had my my name associated with the account but she denied knowing me. Am I going to be arrested now? Bay does not have her ss # ***** I don't know if they have my last name.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, If your girlfriend denies knowing you and claims the sale was unauthorized, eBay will investigate. They will likely try to find you to get the $4,000. I would assume that if they have your name associated with the account, they know who and where you are through the buyer. If they can find you, they can sue you for the money or attempt to have you prosecuted. If your girlfriend says she knows who you are and authorized you to make the sale through her account, she'll be liable for the $4K, which she could sue you for if you didn't pay her back.