LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My estranged husband is trying to serve divorce papers right

Customer Question

My estranged husband is trying to serve divorce papers right now, and there is a car parked in front of my house with what looks like towing apparatus on the back. The car is in his name, but it was bought during the marriage. Can they take my car now before I have the papers or any proceedings have started? I'm in Texas. Thank you
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon. No, they should not be able to. If the vehicle was purchased during the course of the marriage, it would be a martial asset. Absent a court order or agreement for him to take it, he can not just take and tow the car. If he does, you can then proceed to go back to court or address this with the Judge once you are served and the Judge can order the car be returned.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.