Amber E.
Amber E., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in areas of Divorce, Custody, Social Security, and Contract disputes.
17831645

Domestic arguement with wife. She wanted me to leave so called

Customer Question

Domestic arguement with wife. She wanted me to leave so called police so i left.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My wife and i argued. She hit me i pushed her. I left to cool off. Cops came that night. She just wanted me to leave. We have since made up. No issues and i was not arrested or charged but week later wife gets letter from sheriff office from some person on a case number ***** me. My wife is not and never has pressed any charges. However this person from sheriff office wants to talk with her on this case.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Did u get last message?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Amber E. replied 8 months ago.
While people do sometimes call the police to the scene to have the other party leave, what many don't realize is that the police and/or the district attorney may at their discretion escalate the matter to a formal charge and pursue prosecution. In other words, individuals do not "press charges." Once the police are called, what happens next is no longer entirely in the hands of the person who called. This is because the offense is considered to be against the state, not necessarily against the individual victim. To the police and the prosecution, the victim is society. And if there is a suspected case of violence, they can and will intervene, and they may do so regardless of whether the person who called chooses to cooperate.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So what does that mean? I get arrested go to jail? What does a victim whitness coordinator do?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did u gt my response