Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Ely are you available? : credit card dispute

Customer Question

Hi Ely are you available?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: credit card dispute
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me.
What can I answer for you?
This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The question is about disputes on credit card charges on my accounts. I went to a strip club last week Tuesday. I was charged $3400 on my Visa card, $1920 on my Amex, and $1100 on my Mastercard. Over $6,000.00. It was originally over $9000 but as of this morning the strip club has reversed an $1800 charge and another $1920 charge. (Yes, it was ridiculous).
I was very very drunk and blacked out and have no recollection. BUT, i feel I was taken advantage of... probably even drugged.My question is this, now that I've disputed it with my credit cards, they've all said they're going to investigate the charge and one of them has given me a temporary credit.a) what if the strip club shows receipts?
b) will the banks care to figure out if my signature was forged?
c) will the bank take my word on this?
d) do I have any recourse if the banks deny my claim?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. The merchant accounts will investigate to see if the charges were AUTHORIZED. That is all. They are not a court of law. So all they will care about is whether or not the charge was authorized (by you).
If they approve the charge after all, then someone in your situation can still go to Court to seek money back from the strip club. The argument that would be made is that one lacked mental capacity at the time of the transaction, and then it would be up to the Court to decide.
a) what if the strip club shows receipts?
The merchant account would likely authorize the charges. If so, then one can still try the court and see if one can get the money back for claiming lack of mental capacity.
No. They generally will accept a signature at face value. If one claims it was forged, this would be up to the court to decide.
c) will the bank take my word on this?
See above. Likely if one admits being at the club, the merchant will authorize any charge with a signature. I say likely not not 100% of course.
Yes - you could go to court (as explained) but then it would be up to the Court to decide. Whether or not this is of course worth your emotional and financial investment is up to you.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!