Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Im in Colorado. After a car accident i was taken by ambulance

Customer Question

Im in Colorado. After a car accident i was taken by ambulance to the local ER. While having a cat scan in Radiology my jacket which had beenremoved from me was discovered to contain drugs. I was told by a State Trooper that "we found your drugs." I was not arrested and was released. Can they still bring charges against me?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Yes. They can still bring charges against you. They may have let you go specifically because they need the lab results back. But the statute of limitations on this offense would be 18 months for a misdemeanor and three years for a felony. So, they have plenty of time yet in which to decide to charge you before the case would be considered too old to be prosecuted. That said, the longer the time goes on where nothing happens, the better the likelihood that nothng will.