Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Medical malpractice My family physician of whom I have been

Customer Question

medical malpractice
My family physician of whom I have been seeing for over10 years almost every six month never diagnosed I had a cancer growing in my thyroid gland. The cancer began to press on my left portion of my voice box and I started losing my voice. My family Dr. gave me a steroid pack which did nothing changed I went to an ENT specialist. The tumor and most of my thyroid was removed. I was prescribed the fallowing medications after the surgery.
Calcium carbonate 1250 Mg 4 times a day and calcitriol 0.5mcg 2 times a day, cephalexin 500 mg 2 times a day. These were listed on my leaving instruction from the hospital by the nurse practitioner. I also received a prescription for taking an antacid with 500mg of calcium from the Doctor. I had my next appointment with the entrocontologist about 10 days latter. He did a sonogram and said there were a few nodes that had the cancer in them that had to come out. I wondered why they were not removed when the thyroid came out? I had a blood testing done for the entrocontologist
and something they saw bothered them and requested I have another blood test. When they got that test they called me the next afternoon and told me everyone in the office agreed that I needed to go to the emergency room and tell the nurse I was in acute renal failure! This scared the hell out of me and my wife. I was admitted and put on IV's to push fluids through my body. I was released two days later with almost normal kidney functions. I was told the amount of calcium I was taking was shutting down my kidneys.
I went on to have 21 nodes removed during a second operation. I am now on radiation therapy.
My question, was the overdose of calcium malpractice? Was not removing the nodes at the same time as the thyroid malpractice?
Thank you Jim
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
Jim Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. You may well have been a victim of medical malpractice.I would certainly consider a lawyer here locally to pursue this.These are contingent fee cases you don't pay unless and until recovery.So you would set up meeting, they order medical records and review by medical doctor.Then they would send demand letter to the doctor and sue if unresolved. Malpractice lawyer here.. http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/medical-malpractice/texas Texas law Article 4590i introduced several significant changes in the law, including: pre-suit notification, expert reports early in the litigation process, caps on damages and a 2-year statute of limitations - See more at: https://www.texmed.org/StatuteOfLimitations/#sthash.PElorObc.dpuf I appreciate the chance to help you today and wish you the best.I certainly would pursue this, there may have been more than one act of malpractice involved.
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
Here is a recent and scary case out of Houston and MD Anderson no less. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Victoria-woman-wins-lawsuit-after-mistake-had-4668335.php
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
Note the Texas cap of $250k for medical malpractice. Thanks again for letting me help you.