Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I have a business of renting apartments, and I've

Customer Question

I have a business of renting apartments, and I've received a reservation and it was cancelled, my business has a cancellation policy of charging 50% on the guests credit card when they cancelled, but the guest cancelled on April 1st e the credit card was valid until March 31st.
Is there any way for me to charge him? Or any way to prevent this from happening?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, you can not charge an expired card. You would have to sue them for the cancellation fee. In the future, you will want to be sure to take a credit card that does not expire before the departure date.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The person is not from the US, how would I sue him?

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, you can't. Looks like this is one that is going to get away.