Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have lived in a mobile home park yrs. I own the home

Customer Question

I have lived in a mobile home park for 7 yrs. I own the home but rent the space. Everyone here has been allowed to let there dog plays off leash in the grass area provided for the last 10yrs. Now our new management team is enforcing written dog rules and served all dog owners a 7 day notice to comply with all dog being required to be on a leash at all times. Is this legal after it has been allowed for so long
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Loren
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately, management has the right to enact reasonable rules and regulations or change rules and regulations for the use of common areas. So, long as the rules are uniformly enforced and not discriminatory it is not illegal.Changing a dog area to require dogs remain leashed is not illegal and I suspect it is an insurance requirement recently called to their attention.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.