Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I was recently called into my Chief's office to read a derogatory

Customer Question

I was recently called into my Chief's office to read a derogatory email sent by a customer saying I rude, hateful and possible of holding a grudge on this person. When presented with this email, I had back up proof that this incident did not occur as stated. This women stated she basiclly wanted me fired.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Can you give any more information about the types of things the woman said? What are your questions about his scenario?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She aid I was rude, hateful, and no had business being the manager. She said I was like this all the time. Ms. Fleming only comes in about three times every other month. I have asked for a copy of the email, but I have not received one yet. I just found out the person in question called a former employee to obtain my personnel phone number, and she was told no.
Calling someone rude and hateful is unfortunately a matter of her opinion. If she doesn't think you're a good manager, that's also her opinion. First Amendment laws allow a person to state their opinion of someone, even when it's unkind or hurtful. Defamation of character is only actionable when a person states untrue facts. Did she give any specific examples or rude or hateful behavior that weren't true? Or give any facts to try to establish why she doesn't think you should be a manager?