Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

In Pennsylvania, are loans between two adults legally binding?

Customer Question

In Pennsylvania, are loans between two adults legally binding? There was no written contract, only a verbal agreement between myself and my ex fiances father. He is charging interest and the purpose of the loan was to help us consolidate debt so we could afford a wedding. After the split, he divided the loan between the two of us
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. If the father can substantiate that he did advance this money and it was understood to be a loan rather than a gift, then the father would have the ability to enforce the verbal agreement. The lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concepts of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person A relied upon the verbal agreement, Person A performed based on such reliance, and because Person B defaulted, such reliance is now to Person A's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person A based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person A relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person B's failure to perform would be to Person A's detriment, and iv) result in Person B being unjustly enriched, Person A can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. If the father can satisfy his burden of proving the foregoing, there would be a binding verbal contract. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!