Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I have a situation where the organization that moved out my

Customer Question

I have a situation where the organization that moved out my office building left close to 100 files containing client data and sensitive information. I have notified the company now multiple times that the files have been left and they still have not come to pick them up or contact me about the files. Some of the clients are local businesses and I feel they should know how their employee and company information has been left unprotected with a lack of concern from the insurance agency that left them after moving out of the office space. Can I deliver the files to the employers and businesses so that they have knowledge that this information was left vunerable. Once I found the files I did secure them right away in a locked closet inside of a locked office.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
Before doing that, I would send one final written notice certified mail with return receipt requested informing them again of this and that if they do not pick up this information or provide instruction to shred it then you will have no choice but to open those files and contact the individuals and businesses whose info has been left like this and let them know of what has transpired. This should protect you against any claim they might later try to assert against you for damage to their reputation if those customers pursued claims against them.
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. The files were found by someone else . Im not sure how many people could have had access to them. If they were my employees i personally would want to know. It seems crazy to me. I can understand leaving them on accident but then never doing anything about it and its now been 3 months. I almost feel bad like im covering it up by not exposing them. I would be trying to protect future client idendity theft. Thank you for the quick response.
I appreciate your care. A lot of people would have just thrown it out. I would appreciate a positive rating for my assistance as I only get credit for positive ratings.