Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I have a car that has been in the shop months, a company

Customer Question

I have a car that has been in the shop for 7 months, a company has repeatedly mislead me on pricing and timing for fixing my car. When I went to a message board online to ask for help the owner of the shop posted emails between us giving out my personal information email address phone number etc for the whole world to see. I am trying to get my car back, they have taken thousands of dollars from me, and I want to escalate this but feel like I've had a hard time finding a good route to go. I think this is now bigger than small claims court. I also feel like privacy laws may have been violated, and I have found out this not the first time this company has done this to people. I want to get some reprieve for my loss, and I want to help ensure they can't continue doing this to others. What should my next steps be?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.
I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I think at this point, you should pursue a lawsuit in small claims court. Although your privacy was violated, a breach of privacy claim is very hard to pursue when you have not suffered any actual damages. If you were to start getting harassed by the revelation of personal information then yes, you could add that to your claim. However, you should not have to pay money for a failure to do their job.