Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Does a bank have to honor a check drawn on an account with

Customer Question

Does a bank have to honor a check drawn on an account with their bank, for example: Firm ABC has an account with Bank of America and sends a check to citizen John Doe. Mr. Doe tries to cash the check at Bank of America and they refuse. Can they legally do that?
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

A check is basically a written request to a bank by a customer to honor a negotiable instrument in the check and pay it to the designated payee. But buried deep in the terms and conditions of the customer contract it gives the bank the right to refuse to honor a check if they have reasonable grounds theo do so. This often happens if there is an allegation of fraud, theft, the check has a stop payment put on it, or some indication that there may be some type of financial abuse or fraud going on.

So to answer your question directly, yes a bank can refuse to honor a check if they have a reasonable reason to do so.