How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26751
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The plaintiff asked continuance of trial and discovery in my

Customer Question

The plaintiff asked for a continuance of trial and discovery in my divorce case. I have worked hard to build my case for 3 months including classes I may need to take to gain rights to my son. There is no history of violence on m part. The request came from her attorney after discovery. The plaintiff spoke with an attorney the day of discovey. Hired them a week later. I have been forced to live outside my house. The property is in my ownership.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Cannot afford one. She has spoken with all the affordable ones causing a conflict of interest
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Just whatever she is trying to turn in on discovery
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Can you share with me what your question is at this time? I just want to make sure I provide you with a direct answer about your concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to contest a discovery and trial continuance. Is there any way to stop this from being pushed out any further just because the plaintiff treated this with no regard for the court mandated time?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Yes, you would need to file an objection/response to the request for the continuance. If the body of the motion, you want to explain to the court why the request should be denied and how doing so, would be prejudicial to you. Moreover, if there are any order in place right now or something which is restricting you, you could ask for that to be modified and/or imposed IF this would be granted, since you are now suffering unnecessary delay. For example, if this would keep you away from your son even longer, you want to ask to have visitation, during this continuance

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Legal Questions