Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My girlfriend has a tro on a guy she was living with.He was

Customer Question

My girlfriend has a tro on a guy she was living with.He was abusive and kicked her out and didn't allow her to get her few things. today we made a pretty bad mistake. we showed up to pick up her stuff and there was a chain and a lock with a note demanding money. we broke the lock and took her stuff. I immediately regretted it. now have called her and want her to call them back. She's leaving me out of it and saying she picked up her stuff alone but hasnt called the cops back yet.
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

I think she ought to just decline to speak to the police. am not at all sure they have a case on her, they may think she did it but no actual proof.If that is the case any statement here can be used against her.

She has right not to talk and not to self incriminate , this is breaking and entering here.But overall not sure making a statement here is in her best interest.She would be better off if she has a lawyer to let the lawyer talk to them. If she doesn't have a lawyer yet she may want to talk to local criminal lawyer here.

It is very possible they cannot make a criminal case, if she was a tenant here and locked out, she would have right of entry.So its a gray zone here, no need to help the police.They really aren't your friend and maybe gathering evidence.As it stands they may not be able to place her there.I would just have her decline to speak to the police and take her chances.

It is all too easy to admit something and have it used against you, she has 5th amendment protection not to speak to them.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best to both of you.