Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I live in MA and I got a "Trespass Notice" from Babson

Customer Question

I live in MA and I got a "Trespass Notice" from Babson College, and it was given to me from a Babson Policeman. But the notice does not specify how long it is for anywhere on the paper; am I forever banned from going to Babson or does it expire, if so when? Would it be safe to go on the campus and just risk not getting noticed?
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

IS THIS WHAT YOUR NOTICE STATES:

Attached you will see a Trespass Notice given to you by the Babson College Police Department. This letter is to inform you, due to your interactions with a Babson College employee, effective immediately, you are prohibited from entering any property or buildings owned or leased by Babson College. You may not enter as a guest or visitor. Should you violate the terms of this trespass notice and enter any area under control of Babson College, you may be subject to arrest and prosecution under Massachusetts Trespass statute, MGL Chapter 266, Section 120. If you have any questions please contact the Babson Police at(###) ###-####

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the notice does not say that. I got it because I had one beer and I'm 18. I'm adding an image of the exact notice.

1. But the notice does not specify how long it is for anywhere on the paper; am I forever banned from going to Babson or does it expire, if so when?

The notice stays in effect until it is formally lifted. You will need to contact them on the phone number provided and ask about the method the college has for lifting the ban.

Would it be safe to go on the campus and just risk not getting noticed?

I would not risk it as they will arrest you and then you will have that on your criminal record and this may pose a problem down the road in getting a job. This is the problem with computer tracked data these days.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay. My friend who got one as well asked the cop how long it would last and he said about a year--do I have to call the Babson police to get it lifted then?
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Yes, because you need something in writing from them that confirm that it has been lifted for you as opposed to a person generally. The reason that information is left off the citation is because they wish to make an independent determination for each person cited. Yours, for example, may only last 6 months while a sexual predator's may be for life.