Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I bumped into a parked car. No visible damage seen. Left my

Customer Question

I bumped into a parked car. No visible damage seen. Left my telephone number on the windshield. The other party has lodged a police complaint. The cop wants to talk to me. What is my best strategy? Would acknowledging the accident lead to "hit and run" charges?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Generally, if the police were sure that you did damage to this vehicle, they would not be calling you to come and talk to you. They would just arrest you for a hit and run. When they want you to come in, it is typically to question you and get you to make incrimiinatory statements, which you can most definitely do by acknowledging the accident.

You have a fundamental right under the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution not to give evidence against yourself when you're the suspect of a crime. The police know that, which is why if they want to question you, they are supposed to give you Miranda warnings.

Police are skilled interrogators and they can twist your statements into admissions you'll be making against your interest. You cannot help yourself in a situation like this, but you can make it worse. The only way you should speak to the police about this incident would be if you have a lawyer with you.

If you don't go to talk to them, maybe the police will find enough evidence elsewhere to charge you, but at least you won't have made a confession and you won't have given away your defense.