How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29041
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife deserted her family 11/7/2014. She has since filed.

Customer Question

My wife deserted her family 11/7/2014. She has since filed for divorce. She is bipolar and refuses to get any help. We have been trying mediation to try and save some of the costs associated. While we were separated she was in a car accident and has been out of work. Apparently she may not go back to work due to some injury that was not deemed her fault. She is in a rush to get me to sign the agreement. I mean noticeably bothered to the point I think it is because of her pending lawsuit. If we were married at the time can she be liable for paying me alimony if she is awarded money for the accident. I feel that she just wants to get what she can from me first. I am an Engineer and have a good job with the same employer for over 30 years. I am not a gold digger but I don't understand the sudden urgency. Thx Ron
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
married over 20 years
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Alimony is need-based. You could be entitled to alimony if your income is not sufficient to meet your basic needs, and she makes enough to support herself and you. This is different from child support, because there's not set formula. If you have any minor children that she left with you, you ARE entitled to child support.

The reason she wants to rush the divorce is that, in Massachusett, a divorce court judge can award any property belonging to one spouse to the other. G. L. c. 208, Section 34. She's probably worried that the judge is going to award you a portion of her lump-sum settlement when he does an equitable distribution of marital property. You can try to negotiate a deal where she gives you a percentage of the settlement once she gets it, or you can try to negotiate another deal you think is fair. Otherwise, the judge can make the decision after a trial.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.