Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I recently received a letter from a law office stating that

Customer Question

I recently received a letter from a law office stating that I had a judgement debt with the City of Chicago of $210.06. The problem is that I have not lived at the noted address since 1996. Is the debt still enforceable?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under IL law a judgment is good for 7 years but then it is not dead it just goes dormant and they can file to revive the judgment for up to 27 years total. See: 735 ILCS 5/2-1602. So if the judgment was revived, it can still be a valid judgment under IL law and you would need to get a copy of the judgment against you from the clerk of court's office in Chicago to find out if any motion to revive the judgment was filed. If no such revival was filed, then this could still be enforceable and you could be made to pay it.