LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Is it legal bank to refuse to cash a check when they know

Customer Question

Is it legal for a bank to refuse to cash a check when they know more than enough funds are available to pay the check and they refuse because the person to whom the check is made out does not have an account with that bank?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, it is legal. A US bank is not obligated to allow a non-customer of that bank from coming into a branch and cash a check drawn on that bank.

You will need to process the check through your own bank or through a check cashing business.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug