Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My brother, who lives in Ca., obtain power of attorney over

Customer Question

My brother, who lives in Ca., obtain power of attorney over my 93 year old Mom in Sept 2015. My mother rented the home he owned from him for about 12 years at $1000.00. At the time he gained power of attorney, she had $70,000 in the bank (estimate), a house full of nice furniture and no bills. He immediately moved her in Heartfelt home (assisted living). After falling there and breaking her hip in October, 2015, she died in March 2016. My mother repeatedly told me her will was 50/50 between my brother and I. I live in CT.
Immediately upon her death, she had a zero bank account and he sold most of her belongings. He tells me I get nothing. He says she should have been paying him $1500 to rent his house (that is the going rate). He says she verbally agreed to this. So, after he repaid himself, there was nothing left. Mom never mentioned this to me or anyone else and said over and over that she owed no one. I asked for a copy of the will, which I have not received. I am positive it was to be equally split.
What are my options.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is your question? I understand the facts as you have presented them, but you haven't indicated what you need to know.

2. How were the expenses of the assisted living facility paid for?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.