LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

Is "No Cooling Off Period" clause in automobile sales

Customer Question

Is "No Cooling Off Period" clause in automobile sales contract legal in New Jersey.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, it would be legal and when buying an automobile, the 3 day cooling off period does not apply.

Certain types of sales can’t be canceled, even if they take place in places normally covered by the Rule. The Cooling-Off Rule does not cover sales that are:

• under $25 for sales made at your home;
  • under $130 for sales made at temporary locations;
  • for goods or services not primarily intended for personal, family or household purposes. (The Rule applies to courses of instruction or training.);
  • made entirely online, or by mail or telephone;
  • the result of prior negotiations at the seller's permanent place of business where the goods are sold regularly;
  • needed to meet an emergency;
  • made as part of your request for the seller to do repairs or maintenance on your personal property (purchases made beyond the maintenance or repair request are covered).

Also exempt from the Cooling-Off Rule are sales that involve:

• real estate, insurance, or securities;
  • automobiles, vans, trucks, or other motor vehicles sold at temporary locations if the seller has at least one permanent place of business;
  • arts or crafts sold at fairs or places like shopping malls, civic centers, and schools.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.